Monday, April 2, 2012

Sound Assignment Critique Notes (Sample)

  • Did you consider having this as an interactive piece where the audience also contributes to the atmosphere?
  • Why is it meant to be heard in a quiet space if it is commenting on the absence of silence?  Sounds almost as if the piece is addressing your own fear of silence.  The need to feel connected.  the honesty, truth, reality that silence offers.  And how humanity tries to avoid it at all costs.
  • "Sweating like Demons they scream through our speakers but we leave the sound on cause silence is harder."
  • "Why are you so petrified of silence?  You can think about your bills your acts your deadlines or when you think you're going to die."
  • not very many real installations
  • no collaboration
  • I should have better prepared the presentation of my project (clearly more interesting what I witnessed than what I presented to the class)
  • Jay's poem looks great with oppressive white space on top.  More?  Install it?
  • Some people have great ideas and then refuse to explore them to any extent.  It is lazy and frustrating.  I can't tell whether I explored at all or not.
  • If everyone had time & energy & will to devote full attention to their projects and flesh them out fully + deliberately, this class would be jaw dropping.
  • There is a lot of potential energy in this room with these people
  • I hope our final projects are awesome
  • I hope I give myself more time for the next project
  • Should I be critiquing projects in this class, or accepting them for what they are?
  • What's better -- ambitious but unrealized, or small but perfectly executed?
What we have to diligently focus on is an act of transformation, which may be composite and recursive, not a big bang but a box of wonders (and more), i.e., to present to anyone who walks in a room in which intelligence has played and made results manifest, cumulatively and as a final event, uniquely to this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment