Friday, April 6, 2012

Zoe on Yingelishi

Yingelishi ... reading it revived my yearning or like of the language.  the pure joy of spelling/pronouncing the letters out, one by one.  The weather must be taking some part in my interpretation of the material perhaps.  Last week I was more drawn to the increased dependency on translations for non-Chinese speakers, and outside the window didn't seem too sunny.  This week, however, is sunny, and warm, you can feel the breath of the soft wind.  And the reading experience becomes more spiritual, and the letters seem to come more alive in my ears w/ each sound spelled out.  Letters are fairly arbitrary things in my humble opinion, as they express abstract ideas.  When written, the language is preserved.  Yingelishi reminds me of the importance of speaking, and perhaps the void/mismatch in the relationship between different languages.
   I would even argue that it brings out the connectability between those different languages in a playful way, rather than alienating one from another.

No comments:

Post a Comment