Sunday, April 8, 2012

That Old Library

There has always been something unique about the Old Library that separates it from other libraries.  I think rather than trying to block out noise and create silence, the Old Library provides a space that is inherently focused and separate from other activity, but at the same time is present in an environment that is full of it.  The world continues to move while you're in that space, and the design of its environment in no way tries to hide this fact, unlike other spaces.  I'm constantly aware of the sounds of the cars rushing by behind the rattling windows and clinking chandeliers, I feel just like I do when I'm laying down in my room back in Connecticut, I feel present among other living things, I don't feel alone.  (Jake Cooper)

No comments:

Post a Comment