Monday, March 5, 2012

The Room

I had seen images of the Old RISD Library from my friends' Facebook profiles back in Freshman year, and I always wondered where this space was.  It was not until last semester that I entered the Library and had a class there.  I immediately felt comfortable in the room.  The overall warmth from the lights and the wooden floors eliminated the uncomfortable feelings I get when I am in a "normal" classroom with halogen lamps and cold tiled floors.  The atmosphere makes lectures and discussions bearable; the high ceilings allow voices to resonate and carry through the air.  The empty bookshelves also make the space feel somewhat haunted.  Although the space is used as a classroom and it no longer functions as a library, it still feels like a quiet and private sanctuary built for self-reflection and studying.  I find it soothing when I can hear echoes of people walking, people whispering, books closing, etc., in libraries and have no knowledge of the sources of the sounds.

Kristen Harada

No comments:

Post a Comment