Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Yingelishi

In the introduction it says --

Turn your head slightly to the left,
     and you hear English,
          slightly to the right,
                          Chinese,

                                  straight ahead, neither,


                                              both.

I found this to be a perfect description of my experience listening to Yingelishi. If I focused just right, I could hear the English, especially when reading along. If I listened passively, it became Chinese. This playing in and out of languages was far more interesting to me than the words themselves. I wonder what this project would be like when taken through this filter 2 times? 10 times? 100 times? It would be infinitely more interesting as 1 sentence processed 100 times than as 100 sentences processed once.

Kevin Cochran

No comments:

Post a Comment