Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Silence+Presence_TransientLibrary


Produced by Jake Cooper for Material Poetics Spring 2012 - RISD

Abstract:
What I enjoy about by silence is that there is none. I've lived on a main street for 18 years and only once moving to Providence, did my nights become devoid of the passing-car crescendos and chirping street lights I'd learned to call a lullaby. I miss them at times, yet I haven't lost them, they've only moved to different places, different times.

I've found places in this new home of Providence that maintain the same feeling, though they've existed in different times -- the sounds of home exist between 11pm and 4am, these sounds have only existed in the afternoon. By process of recording, I've been able to queue this experience, admittedly similar yet imperfect, but a bandage no less.

The piece loops three times; looping, time, and sleep all have similar connotations to me. Perhaps appropriately there is a bell toll signaling the return to 1pm with each repetition. I've made it available for download so that others can experience the sounds as they sleep, work, or otherwise require some form of "silence."

1 comment:

  1. Jake, I like this low-key gift of ambient sound. Have you considered making a longer, attentive piece, without the loop, or maybe with a much larger loop, e.g., one hour, or whatever is a reasonable time to ensure sleep.

    ReplyDelete